What are the Documents Required for Trademark Registration in India?
Trademark registration in India is an important legal activity you should do in order to make sure your mark is protected. However prior to even applying for the registration of this mark, you need together the documents required for trademark registration in the correct manner. This would make sure that the filing process of this registration goes through without any hitch.
Depending upon the form of company you have is going to dictate the types of document that you need to submit. However, you should NOT submit the original documents under any circumstance, a Xerox copy of the documents would suffice.
If you are an individual or sole proprietorship company
This is the form of company that does require you to register the company itself. For this form of business entity, the process of filing for registration is quite easy. The documents required for this process are as follows:
- A copy of the logo or the word mark that you have chosen. However, you need to make sure that if you are submitting a logo, that logo is in black and white. A black and white logo tends to be a lot preferable.
- Form-48: You need to sign and submit form-48 to a trademark attorney.
- Identity proof of the owner of the company.
- Address proof of the owner of the company.
If you are a partnership/Limited Liability partnership/ a company or a small Startup or enterprise
The documents that you are required to submit if you are any of the above entities are as follows:
- You need to submit a copy of the logo or the word mark that you want to register.
- Again, you will need to provide a signed form-48.
- Either the partnership deed or the incorporation certificate.
- Identity proof of the applicant.
- Address proof of the applicant.
These are the documents that you require prior to applying for trademark registration. This marks the first step for you to register your trademark in India. The steps to register a trademark can be quite long. To that end, it is better that you know about them as well.
IF you are clear with documents requirement then the first step is to go for Public Trademark Search