Winding Up Private Limited Company
A private limited company or famously known as PVT LTD is a privately held company. This implies that the business limits owner liability to its shares and limits number of shareholders to 50. It also restricts shareholders from trading shares publicly.
Closing Private Limited Company becomes a necessity due to many reasons voluntarily or by the tribunal. Business loss, bankruptcy, passing away of promoters, etc., are few of the reasons as to why closing company in India becomes the only option.
Requirements for closing a Private Limited Company
Voluntarily closing a Private Limited Company:
This is possible if,
- The Company wants to close the operations by passing a special resolution. In simple words, the choice to strike-off company is taken deliberately.
- There is an occurrence of an event as mentioned in the articles of association that requires the shut-down of private limited company.
- The Company’s duration expires, if any, as fixed in the articles of association. In this case, the process of winding up a company is voluntarily initiated.
Compulsory closing of Private Limited Company:
This happens in the following scenarios,
- The Company is unable to pay its debts. At that time strike-off of company and liquidation happen in tandem.
- Tribunal orders the Company to be shut down or is of the opinion that the Company is equitable and must be shut down
- When the Company has not filed financial statements or annual return in the preceding five consecutive years
- The Company has acted against the sovereignty and integrity of the state and India, friendly relations with foreign states, public order, decency or morality
- If the Company has been conducted in fraudulent manners or is guilty of fraud or misconduct
Procedure for Private Limited Company Closure
The strike off company procedure used to be a slow and boring process. However, through the online process, much of the slow elements are removed. That being said, the process to strike off company online is not fully present. The process itself is as follows. :
- Board Resolution – A board meeting is held where at least two Directors must be present or preferably majority of Directors. The Directors approving the closing of the Company, having cleared all its debts, then pass a resolution.
- General Meeting – Following the board meeting, an issue is passed to call for the general meeting of the Company. The General Meeting Board must pass the closing of the Company resolution by ordinary majority or a special resolution by 3/4th Once the resolution is passed, the closing of the Company commences.
- Creditor Meeting – At least 2/3rd of the creditor value must be of the opinion that the closing of the company is in the best interest of all parties.
- File a notice with Registrar after 10 days of passing of the resolution to appoint a liquidator
- Official Circulation – Within 14 days of passing of resolution, notify the Official Gazette and advertise in the newspaper regarding close private limited company.
- File the certified copies of resolutions and general meeting regarding the closing of the company, within 30 days of the General Meeting
- Final General Meeting – A final meeting to be held to dispose the books and papers of the Company
- Dissolution – Within 14 days of Final General Meeting, file a copy of the accounts and application to dissolute the Company
- Once the tribunal is satisfied with the copies and application, it will pass an order to dissolute the Company within 60 days of receiving the application
- Publish notice – On receiving the order from Tribunal, the appointed liquidator files a copy to the Registrar. The Registrar then publishes a notice that the Private Limited Company is now dissolved, which means closed.
While you cannot fully strike a company off online, you can take all the help you need from business registration experts. These experts can close private limited company through the process that involves constant tenacity and complete assistance.
Therefore, Registrationwala is here to aid you. Contact our experts and close the company in a way that you can pass over legal hurdles while keeping up with the legal requirements.
At least a year should have passed from the date of incorporation before the Company files for closing to the Registrar of Companies.
A resolution of Directors approving the closing of the Company and the same being declared with the condition that there are no pending debts is a key requirement for filing the voluntary closing of the Company.
Within 7 days of application submission, the Private Limited Company must notify the creditors, shareholders, employees, trustees, and other directors.
If the Company fails to comply with the timelines, a fine or penalty is incurred upon the Directors from starting another Company.
Times change and with time, the place of your business can too. However, the legal process of changing your place of bus ....
A partnership firm and a private limited company, both are good business entities suited for entrepreneurs. However, the ....
Statutory audits are mandatory measures to check the nerves of a company’s finances. By road-mapping each function ....
Compliances are the lifeblood of a business entity. It helps businesses preserve their legal identities in front of the ....