What is Importer Registration in India for weights and measures?
What is Importer Registration?
According the rules of Section 19 of the Legal Metrology Act, 2009, all who want to import weights or measuring products in India, have to firs obtain a specialized Importer Registration from the Director of Legal metrology.
To do so, the applicant has to file the application under Schedule X of rule 15 of the general rules of Legal metrology.
Eligibility Criteria for Importer Registration in India
Following are the declarations that the applicant has to be make as per the packaged commodity rules:
- Country of origin
- Name and address of the manufacturer
- Address of the importer
- And other details given in the application form.
Documents Required for Importer Registration in India
To obtain the importer registration, you must provide the following documents.
- Certificate of incorporation
- IEC code
- Other business licenses pertaining to your business
- A duly filled application form
- DD of the application fee
- Details that you’re required to input on the display pane of the package you’re importing.
Process of obtaining the Importer Registration in India
Importer registration has to be applied within 30 days of starting the import of goods. The maximum validity of importer registration varies from 1 to 5 years.
The process of filing the application is as follows:
- Get the application for importer registration from the LMPC
- Fill the application form
- Attach the required documents
- Submit the application to the LMPC along with the fee
- Get the license.
Points of note about importer registration are as follows:
- Not applying for importer registration within 30 days of commencement of import is a punishable offense.
- The fine for the above offense can extend to INR 25,000/-
- In case the offense is more than one, the crime is considered punishable by prison term of six months.
Our Assistance to get the Importer Registration in India
We provide end to end assistance for Importer Registration needs:
- We file your application for Importer Registration
- We submit the application
- We conduct the follow up with the department
- We provide post license services as well.
Simply put, we guide your hand through each and every step of getting Importer Registration in India.
Reach out to us if you seek Importer Registration in India.