ISP license is the mandatory requirement for those who want to provide internet services in India. However, in order to obtain the license, one must take all the steps carefully.
Internet services in India are one aspect that are keeping the economy together. Without them, there won’t be any concept of work from home. However, the current pandemic has also shown as a weakness: Lack of good ISPs in India. While not optimal for consumers, it has given a way for entrepreneurs to enter into ISP market and provide the internet services that people deserve.
ISP License in India, has therefore, seen an unprecedented increase in demand. Through this article, you’ll know about the pre-requisites of getting the license, and the steps required to get it.
Pre-requisites of getting ISP license in India
Following are the requirements that you must keep in mind before you file the application for ISP license in India:
- The applicant must be a company: As an applicant, you should know that Department of Telecommunication won’t issue you a license if you’re applying as an individual. To do a business as complex as providing internet services, you need to apply as a private limited company. Thus, consider incorporating a company as your first task towards signing an ISP license agreement.
- Choose between the three categories of ISP: Depending upon the size of region in which you want to provide internet services, you have to choose between three categories of ISP:
- Category A of ISP: An ISP category A is one that you choose if your plan is to provide internet services across the country. The ISP license cost of category A is the highest.
- Category B of ISP: An ISP category B is a state wise internet service provider. You choose this category if your goal is to provide internet services to a metropolitan city or state.
- Category C of ISP: A Category C of ISP is the smallest internet service provider in terms of scale. Limiting its services to one SSA, it’s used to provide internet services to one small village or a town. Cost wise, this category has the lowest ISP license fee
How to get ISP License
Once you’ve covered the pre-requisites of obtaining the ISP license in India, you’re ready to take the steps required:
- File the online application for ISP License:Fill the online application of ISP license. When you’re filing the application, you’ll find out that you’re presented with several choices. Among them is to buy the unified license. It’s suited if you’re willing to expand your internet services. If you don’t, you can choose to fill one of the standard ISP license applications.
- Upload the required documents: Following are the documents you’re required to upload to the portal at the time of application filing:
- Certificate of incorporation
- Memorandum of Association
- Articles of Association
- List of company directors
- Shareholding pattern of the company
- Nature of your ISP services
- Receipt of ISP license fee
- Obtain the letter of intent: Upon receiving your application, and the scrutinizing it and accepting it, the Department will send you Letter of Intent.
- Follow the points mentioned in letter of intent: Letter of intent entails the performance guarantee, financial guarantee and entry fee you’re supposed to deposit as per your ISP category. Do so within the time frame mentioned in the letter.
- Obtain the ISP license: After you’ve taken care of all that requirements mentioned in the letter of intent, you’ll be awarded ISP license in India for the category you sought the license.
If any of the steps confuse you, reach out to our experts. Registrationwala has DOT consultants that can assist you.
Also read: Categories of ISP License in India