The OHSAS 1800:2007 Occupational health and safety management is the international standard that is prescribed by the international standardization organization. This standard provides the framework for detecting, controlling and declining the risk associated with the health and safety within the organization. Obtaining this certificate will clearly reflect that company is concerned about the health of its employees. In order to obtain the OHSAS 18001 ISO certificate there exist the OHSAS 18001 requirements checklist that is required to be fulfilled by every applicant. In this blog we will take a look at the OHSAS 18001 requirements checklist.
This audit checklist for the OHSAS 18001 certification covers the five main areas of the OHSAS 18001 manual. It is important to be compliant with these requirements in order to obtain this certificate and keep the safety system intact. The OHSAS 18001 requirements checklists according the five areas are as follows-
Area-1 Occupational health and safety policy
- Documents of health and safety policy of the organization.
- Documents related to the intent and commitment of the company to improve the health and safety.
- The policy must include the statement of intent, responsibilities , structures and the arrangements in the company.
Area-2 Assessing and planning
- The documents related to the internal and external procedures relevant for the OHSAS 18001 certification.
- The documents determining the risk assessment of your business activity ensuring that the record prepared are accurate and the potential risk is controlled.
Area-3 Implementation and Operation
- The documents evidencing that the processes that has been developed and implemented are in line with the prescribed standards.
- All the stakeholder and employees are given full awareness and training about the OHSAS 18001 standard.
- Evidences that all the roles and responsibilities of the managers and employees are assigned to them.
- Are sufficient resources being provided for the effective implementation of standard or not.
Area-4 Checking and corrective action
- The records of monitoring and measuring the health and safety performances.
- The documents of internal audits, site audits, testing and the inspection of equipment.
- The documents of the procedures for reporting the accidents, incidents and near-misses.
- The report of suitable follow up procedure.
Area-5 Management Review and continual Improvement
- Documents related to the management review of health and safety performances of organization. This review shall be conducted during and after the OHASAS 18001 certification process.
- Have you appointed a senior manager to lead the health and safety in the organization?
- Is the accurate support is given to the health and safety manager or not.
Fulfilling the above OHSAS requirements checklist will ensure that you can obtain and keep the OHSAS 18001 Certification in India.