It’s profitable, and fun being able to cater to the market of toys. Kids are always looking for new things and right, you can really flex your creativity and manufacture any toy that you want. However, you cannot just sell to them after manufacturing anymore. Your products, like anything made of plastic (or metal), have the potential to pose harm to children. And that’s why, BIS for Toys is important.
What is BIS for Toys and why should you care about it? In this article, we are going to dive into this subject and come up with a valid answer for you.
What is BIS for Toys?
For one, BIS for toys is not a word. It’s actually BIS certification toys. As per the Toys Quality Control Order, it has been made essential to get every toy that’s manufactured in India (or is brought from abroad) to get the BIS certification from the Bureau of Indian standards. If that name sounds familiar to you, it’s because it’s the same old ISI mark now in a new skin, a new regulation and a vaster governance.
Why is BIS certification for toys is required?
When you're manufacturing products targeted at kids, you have to make sure that it's safe for consumption. The Bureau of Indian standards has therefore established BIS standards for toys. Based on their nature, the standards are different for electric and non electric toys:
Toys that are powered by electricity and provide an automated response. It,s you RC cars, and other toys that are either rechargeable or operated via battery. The standard setup for them is to ensure that no child or their guardian suffers from electrocution when playing with them. Thus, the BIS standard is IS-15644: 2006.
Toys that are not powered by a power source, are non electric in nature and rely on their mechanical and physical attributes for that “toy” factor. For examples, dolls, transformer toys, baby rattles, baby walkers and others. Standard has been set for them because some easy to produce materials are not child-safe. The BIS standard to follow here is the IS 9873 (Part 1): 2019.
How to get BIS certificate for toys?
For BIS certification for safety of toys, there are two different sets of processes:
- BIS certification process for manufacturers: Here, the BIS application online for toys is filed by an India- centric portal. There, you’ll obtain the ISI mark for toys that you manufacture in the country.
- BIS certification for import of toys: Here, the manufacturing process has to be accounted for when import of toys is considered. One only obtains the BIS certificate for imported toys by filing the import specific “BIS certificate for import of toys”.
Getting BIS certification for toys as a manufacturers
Following is the process for getting the BIS certification for electronic or BIS certification for non electronic toys if the products are manufactured in India:
- Creating an online login at the Manak website: First off, you need to register yourself as a portal specific to Indian Safety Registration for toys. You can do so at the Manak Online portal.
- Choose the Conformity standard: Now, choose whether your toys are electric or non electric. Once you do, you’ll directed at the application form specific to your choice. For example, if you choose the IS 15644: 2019 standard, you’ll be directed to the application for BIS certificate for electronic toys. On choosing IS 9873 (Part 1): 2019 standard, you’ll get to the application that lets you get the BIS certificate for non electronic toys.
- File the application: Once you get to the BIS registration for toys application that you need to file, you’ll fill the application. Provide each and every detail pertaining to your product. Don’t miss even a single detail, regardless of how insignificantly small you think it is. Furthermore, make sure to pay all the BIS certification for toys fees in one go.
- Prepare yourself for inspection: The BIS officials will then pay a visit to your manufacturing unit. Their objective is to assess the correctness of the details of the application that you filed. Additionally, they also make finer observations of the safety of workers and other aspects of your plant.
- Get the BIS certification for toys: If the BIS inspectors approve of your application, and your manufacturing method, you’ll get the BIS safety marking for toys. You then have to put that mark either the package or on the product itself.
Getting BIS certificate for import of toys
The process of getting the BIS registration for imported toys, you need to follow the same process as above. However, there are some key differences:
- Filing the application through the “BIS.GOV” portal specific for manufacturers
- When it’s time for inspection, you’d have to bear the expanses of the BIS inspections from their stay and their time in your country.
Only after that, you’ll receive ISI mark on imported toys.
Attachments with the application for BIS registration
BIS for toys is an extremely recent development that one has to get. Thus, thankfully, the documents that you need to take care of aren’t that many. Following is the comprehensive list of documents you’re required to submit to the BIS department.
- List of all the raw materials it takes to make your toy
- Location of your manufacturing unit
- Description of how your toy is manufactured
- Details of the plant layout that’s hosting toy manufacturing equipment.
- A test report from a BIS recognized Laboratory.
- A photograph of all the toys.
- An undertaking in which take a vow that your information is correct.
BIS certification for toys is now mandatory requirement for anyone looking to get into toy manufacturing business. And, you should care about it even if you’re currently in such a business. It’s no longer voluntary to get ISI registration for toys, you’re now forced into it, for the sake of children. Come forward and get certified, and contact our consultants if you want a smoother ride.