DIN is unique number assigned to the person who is going to occupy the position of Director in a private limited company which is mandatory requirement as per section 153 of the companies Act, 2013
What will be the consequences if person having two DINs:
Recently, Regional Director, Noida has started issuing �Show Cause Notice� u/s 266G of the companies Act, 1956 to more than 2 Lakh directors having more than one DIN. Therefore, it is advisable to surrender the extra DIN.
You can also check from MCA site that whether you have been allotted two or more DINs or not.
Process to cancel or surrender extra or duplicate DIN:
- DIN holder shall File form DIR-5 to surrender or cancel his or her DIN.
- File the declaration along with DIR-5 stating that he or she has never been appointed as director in any company and the said DIN has never been used for filing any documents
The Central Government or Regional Director may cancel or deactivate the DIN after being satisfied on verification of records and particulars filed.
Note: Since DIR-5 is a physical form, therefore it has to be attached to E-Form RD-1 as an attachment.
Cases in which surrender or cancellation of DIN application can be made:
- If the DIN is found to be duplicate in respect of the same person.
- DIN was obtained wrongfully or by fraudulent means.
- Death of the individual having DIN.
- Person has been declared as a person of unsound mind by a competent Court.
- Person has been adjudicated as insolvent.