The most annoying season has finally arrived! No, we are not talking about summer, but we are talking about “Tax Season”. It has started and the last date is 31st July.
Now, as it is a regular tax season, you cannot expect any extension on it. However, you might be wishing for an extension considering how difficult it can be to file IT-returns. But don’t worry! Through this blog, we are providing you a complete guide for income tax filing.
Income tax return filing Online Process
Gone are the days when Income tax in India was filed using pen and paper. Those were the days where errors were common and most often, you end with filing your returns again. Now it is the time of income tax return filing online. As a result, the process is much simpler. However, many users still find it confusing. To remove the confusion, here is the step by step guide of filing income tax return online:
- Visit the official Income Tax e-Filing website: The website is www.incometaxefiling.gov.in. Once you reach the home page, you either have to choose Register or login.
- Register online (If you are a new user): If you are a new user, you have to click on the “Register Yourself” button. The steps for new user registration are as follows:
- Once you have clicked on “Register yourself”, you will have to use the user type from the drop-down menu given. The options available are Individual, Hindu Undivided Family, Other than Individual/HUP, External Agency, Chartered Accountants, Tax Deductor and Collector, Third Party Software Utility Developer. Choose “Individual”.
- Enter your Basic Details: Your PAN number, Your surname, middle name, and First name, Your Date of Birth and your residential status (Resident, Non-Resident)
- Fill the Registration form. Here, you will file your contact details, the account security questions, password, your personal details, and your residential details.
- Subscribe to Email alerts. Input the captcha and submit.
- The system will then verify your PAN details.
- The website will then send you a link through an email. Click on the link and verify your registration.
- Now, login to the website: After registration, click on the “Login Here” button to log in. The username is your PAN card number and the password is the one you decided during registration. Enter the captcha and click on submit.
- Select “Filing of Income Tax Return”: Once you click on this button, you will have to select:
- Assessment Year: From the last 11 years
- ITR form Number: There are 5 types of ITR from ITR – 1 to ITR – 5
- Filing Type: There are three types of filing: ‘Original/revised return’, ‘after condonation of delay’ and ‘modified return’. Choose the ‘Original/revised return’ option to file the Income tax return for the first time.
- Submission Mode: There are two ways to submit Income tax returns:
- Prepare and Submit Online
- Upload XML
The goal of this blog is to make it easy for you to file an income tax return form. So, you choose the first option – “Prepare and Submit Online”.
- Begin filling the form: You will finally be shown the Income-tax return form on the screen. There are three sheets there:
- Sheet 1 is personal information that you have to fill in: They will consist of your name, address, contact number, Aadhar number, and PAN card number.
- Sheet 2 is the computation of taxes: The second sheet is the one where you will input your gross income, deductibles. The tax will be calculated accordingly.
- Sheet 3 you have to input your bank details: The bank details will be already present. You just have to select them. This is in case there is a refund from your tax payment.
- On sheet 4 there will be a declaration: Just below the final sheet, you have to enter the place (your location) of your declaration.
- Save your form: On every sheet, there is a “Save draft” button. After filling the form, don’t forget to click upon it.
- Review your Income tax return form: One of the best parts of online income tax return (ITR) filing procedure is to be able to review it. If there are any errors, you can rectify them. Just click on the sheet tab that you want to review.
- Click on the submit button: Once you have reviewed your form properly, you can click on the submit button. Clicking on it doesn’t submit it straightaway – you are given a second chance to review it.
- Select how you want to get your Income Tax Return form verified: There are many ways to verify your Income Tax return. One of the options is to e-verify the documents. To use this option, your Aadhar Card and your PAN card should be connected. If they are not, don’t worry, clicking on e-verify is going to prompt the connection process. Once they are connected, you can select “E-verify using Aadhar OTP” and your Income Tax Return form will be submitted online for verification. Upon verification, you will be notified with “successfully e-verified”. The process ends here, and the Income-tax filing process is complete.
- If you don’t want to E-verify: If you don’t want to e-verify, you can choose to get the verification done through post. This will give you a download link for ITR-V (acknowledgment form). Sign it and post it to the given address. Once the Income Tax Department receives it, they will verify it.
Step 10 is a lengthy process. You will need to physically go to the post office, wait in line and then post the ITR form. Therefore, it is a better idea for you to e-verify your IT-return statement. The Income-tax (ITR) filing date is up to 31st July. If you are late, there will be penalties. So file it before the last date.
Still, a bit confused and in need have helped? Don’t worry! Our Income Tax return filing agents can file the returns on your behalf. All you need to do is give us your personal details and statements and leave the rest to us.