I don't think there is any person who denies to delicious food but has you ever thought of how safe these foods are, before taking a bite. Well, it is next to impossible to go into details of the process of making foods and about its safety measures for an ordinary person like us.
In India, to regulate food industry the Government has laid down rules and regulation so that safe food available to consumers. These New regulations are known as FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) rules. FSSAI is working day and night for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
Therefore, now it's like an alert for all restaurants operating throughout India that new license-Inspector Raj has been set up in the form of FSSAI, and all the restaurant has to obtain FSSAI online license otherwise it is illegal to operate.
Even FSSAI has not restricted itself only to prescribe standard for processing of foods rather it also prescribes separate packaging and labelling regulations which require that every package of Food must contain information such as name of food, list of ingredient, nutritional information, declaration regarding vegetarian and non- vegetarian and so on so that there should be transparency which is very important for those consumer who are health conscious.
FSSAI rules and regulation has become more relevant where we all very busy in our life and not realising how our health keep on deteriorating day by day. It's now very common that we have our one-time food at eateries, more especially for those who live away from their hometown. Therefore, it is essential to have some regulatory body like FSSAI which can keep its eyes on these restaurants.
FSSAI's effort will definitely bring down the food adulteration and food poisoning. FSSAI by put in place stringent regulations making sure of Food safety from farm to your plate and force the restaurant's owner to heed towards food safety besides increasing their food chain business.
Hello! Mr Restaurant owner lets me introduce to you some of the grey areas which may force you to pull up your socks before winding up which are:
Penalty & Offences under FSSAI regulation:
- Not having FSSAI license: If any person who is required to obtain FSSAI license, runs his Food business without such license shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 6 months and also with fine which may extend to Rs. 5 Lakh.
- Food Quality issues: Penalty shall be levied upto Rs. 5 Lakh if foods sold are not match required quality standard.
- Sub standard food: Selling sub standard food may attract penalty upto Rs. 5 Lkah.
- Injury or death of consumer:
- In case of death- penalty of not less than Rs. 5 Lakh.
- In case of serious injuries- penalty upto Rs. 3 Lakh.
- In case of other injuries- penalty upto Rs. 3 Lakh.